Sunday, November 21, 2010

Under Water Experience.


This is last weeks poetry response cause I kind of forgot about it. On Reading Poems to a Senior Class At South High by D.C. Berry is the poem I choose this week. I found this poem to be inspiring. D.C. Berry has a splendid way of creating an image in your head as you read this poem. It feels as though the poem comes to life every time my partner and I have to do poetry in class. The experience is fitting: I could see myself as one of the "fishes" in the "aquarium" listening to Mrs. White help up pick apart poems. I could also see myself as the teacher slowly drowning in the water trying to teach the fishes poetry. The poem exposes the feeling of teaching poetry through an allegory. The first stanza says, "I noticed them sitting there as orderly as frozen fishin a package," I thought of this as fish that have been killed (not in a gory mean way) just simply bored or waiting for life. Then as the reader begins to read the poem the room fills with water and becomes an aquarium with live fish. It ends with the cat bringing him back life which is ironic because cat's eat fish. The poem was just intriguing to me. The imagination is fasinating and almost childlike which again is ironic because he is reading to a senior class. Imagining our classroom fill with water and Ana Garcia, Corey Coffman and the rest of our class swim around like fish makes me wish I was a kid again.

1 comment:

  1. I marked this late, but gave you credit. You're still missing one though...

    I liked his comparison to fish, but I thought about them alive. lol

    I think aquarium life would be boring indeed--even with Corey, Ana and all the rest of you!

    ReplyDelete