Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Great Gatsby

I am surprized how well I enjoyed this book. It made complete sense to me: Gatsby's dream and life is the American dream. There was so much lying and distrust, that's how America was at the time. The combination of romance, affair, misguidence, and history is extrodinary.

The want for wealth was extreme in both the book and America at the time. The book seems to be familar to Fitzgeralds. He feel in love with a woman who wanted wealth. The Great Gatsby shows how the want for wealth could tear apart someone or even kill someone. Gatsby was wealthy and powerful yet he died for love, a love that was an affair. I felt the sadness and anger as i read the book. The thought of the "American dream" is shown through Gatsby and his reaction is what makes him so great. The connection between the character and the author is huge.

I had heard about this book a few times and never thought it would be as interesting as it was. I did some reasearch about Fitzgerald and he resembles Gatsby. After this I would like to read more Fitzgerald books.

1 comment: