Sunday, August 8, 2010

Is your heart full of darkness?

For me there isn't much to say about the book, maybe later in class I'll have more to say.

This is an adventure up the Congo river in Africa. When I first read the title of this book I had no idea what expect, but if i did expect something it surly wasn't what this book is. The Heart of Darkness is a great title for such a book. The main character Marlow is full of adventure but his adventure doesn't seem to be a good one. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to travel the Congo river and experience the culture of Africa along the way. It is full of secrets and illness.

The book is gloomy, and dark, I didn't like it that much.


The pilgrims and the company seemed to catch my attention; it is interesting how the pilgrims don't try and achieve the goal they're after. Marlow is disgusted with the company and how Kurtz is degenerating. This all the adventure is about. Marlow is aboard a ship full of brutality and the morals of Africa's civilization. Marlow is interesting because in his actions he seems like a typical hero but he also is somewhat broken. As a read you have to be open-minded when thinking about Marlow. Now Kurtz is different, Marlow thinks of him as "hollow," but don't take is as a bad thing because his "hollness"could be what makes him who he is.

I can't seem to pull anything else from this book, maybe later but as of now I'm done.

1 comment:

  1. It is gloomy and dark, but did you have any idea that there were so many ways to say "gloomy and dark"? ;) We'll talk more in class, don't worry. You got enough out of for now.

    ReplyDelete