Monday, September 6, 2010

Always wondering why the blackberries are for Amelia? (poetry entry dose)

This week's poetry choice is "Blackberries for Amelia" by Richard Wilbur. This is the first poem on our poetry packet and everytime I open my binder to the packet the first thing I see is "Blackberries for Amelia." When I open to my poetry packet I'm usually on a different mission, and just notice this poem. So this time I opened my binder on a mission to read and get to know this poem.

My first question was who is Amelia? As the poem ended I made the inference that Amelia is Richard's grandaughter. The rhythem pattern is a, b, b, a, c, d, d, c. and so on. I enjoyed this because it is somewhat uncommon. As the poem progresses the blackberries grow and rippen. It begins in June with just branches and leaves. Then as the weather starts to change the flowers bloom then it ends in August when the blackberries rippen and are ready to be picked. The build up of the blackberries ready to be picked is intense. It ends sweetly saying how he needs a grandchild to talk to him as he picks the blackberries make them even better. I really enjoyed this poem and now i don't have to wonder what it's about everytime I open my binder or see my poetry packet.

1 comment: