Sunday, January 30, 2011

Number 4

" The Book" by Miller Williams is a very odd poem about a notebook bound in skin. This disgust me and made me upset. The first time I read it I was confused wheather this skin bound book was a metaphor or a real book wrapped in skin. The second line in the poem says, "He had ound it in a fallen bunker" which helps make sense of the poem. The second time I read it, I read it allowed to my friend Emily. I announced to her how gross this poem was and then read it to her. before she began to tell me about how the wife a Nazi leader would have jews killed and skinned if she liked tattoos that they had and use their skin as lamp shades and other furniture coverings: which is terrible. Te meaning of the book is now different for the person in the poem because in the first three stanza's including the first line the author doesn't know what the book is bound in but knows the importance inside the book. After finding out that is is bound in skin many unanswered questions are asked, "what child did this skin fit?" The last stanza shows the change and the horror the book now holds in place of beauty. There are seven stanzas and they range from one to five lines. Only the last stanza has rhyeming the rest almost seems to fit together like a story. The author seems like he used free style with this poem.

3 comments:

  1. I'm the Emily she was sitting next to. And I hope I didn't give her false information, I had just heard that. I wonder if the author was an American soldier who freed the occupants of a German concentration camp during WWII. That would be crazy. But that was just what I related it to, the poem might not have anything to do with that story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was hilarious how you started off with "very odd poem" It is also really cool how you talked to Emily about this and gained that background knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting information from Emily and it is an odd poem! I think that you have a good first start. :) Try to dig a little deeper into the structure and figurative language. Pursue your thought about the book's skin being figurative or literal. This is a good first impression; go further!

    ReplyDelete