Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Late number 1

I'm missing four poetry responses and this is the first one. I'm using the new poetry packet for all of them.

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye

a fish hook
an open eye
by Margaret Atwood

I found this poem very interesting after reading it a few times. Although it is short the analysis is interesting. In the first stanza she explains how "you" fit's into "me" and then clearifys that the hook is a fish hook and the eye is open. There are manys ways to take this poem in and I thought of it as sad. The thing fitting into her is a fish hook which is small and sharp and the fact that the eye is open makes the relationship of whatever is fitting into her hurtful. I wouldn't want a fish hook in my eye. The thing that fits isn't a good thing because of the metaphore of it fitting like a hook into an eye. Maybe this is a metaphor for love and how love hurts. Fish hooks are small and the love fitting into her is a fish hook making that fit a small fit. The first stanza opens the possibility of a positive relationship but the second stanza corrects it with the bitter hook and eye.

1 comment: